Large Lego Table made from Ikea parts
Last year I built a standing desk
from Ikea parts that has become very popular online(who knew ?).
This year I decided to surprise the kids with a large Lego table for Christmas. Also while my wife is not always excited about the looks of the things I build, but she has liked the Ikea Expedit builds so far, so I stuck to that.
Note that while the standing desk was 100% Ikea parts, this builds uses a few pieces of 2x4 and some moulding and glue, nothing complicated though.
So basically the main things I wanted:
- Make that table pretty large for large projects, although you could make it any size.
- Have a proper table height for the kids (6 and 8). Top of table is about 26'' .
- have Lego storage built-in.
- Have "borders" around so Legos won't fall off and get eaten by the vacuum daily.
- Part of an Expedit desk as the table" (used the rest for something else) @ 50$
- A 2x4x10 from Lowes fro the table legs @ 4$
- Some wood moulding(Lowes) for the borders - ~ 4 x 8' long peces @ 3$
- Some glue (used adhesive caulk)
- Some black paint (Valspar Enamel)
- Nails + hammer (for moulding)
- paintbrush (to paint moulding)
- screwdriver + screws (for table legs)
I didn't take as many detailed assembly Pictures because i was in a rush to finish this for christmas (started on the 23rd
- First I made legs for the "table" from 2x4's. They are glued and screwed to the underside of the table. See the picture.
- Then I painted the legs black
- I cut the moulding to size and painted it black
- Cut, glued and nailed the moulding to the top of the table and Expedit bookshelves.
- Installed lego base plates and glued them (lightly).
- Installed the storage bins and that's about it.